X-Fi USB HD - switching from USB1.1 to USB2?

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Thu May 13 16:21:51 CEST 2021

Dne 13. 05. 21 v 15:29 Pavel Hofman napsal(a):
> Dne 07. 05. 21 v 10:50 Jaroslav Kysela napsal(a):
>> Dne 07. 05. 21 v 10:37 Pavel Hofman napsal(a):
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The X-Fi USB HD device (and likely the similar 5.1 model too) can run at
>>> USB1.1 (with limited samplerates) and USB2 modes (with full specs). In
>>> linux the device stays at USB1.1. If connected to Windows with stock
>>> windows USB driver the same happens. However, when the Creative
>>> proprietary driver is installed, the device switches to USB2 and
>>> supports all features. When rebooting to linux without re-plugging, the
>>> USB2 mode stays and the device offers its USB2 configurations to
>>> snd-usb-audio.
>>>
>>> We captured USB packets in linux and Win7 with wireshark - both dumps
>>> are included. The windows dump shows that in windows as well as in linux
>>> the device starts as device 3.5.0 at USB1.1:
>>>
>>> DEVICE DESCRIPTOR
>>>     bLength: 18
>>>     bDescriptorType: 0x01 (DEVICE)
>>>     bcdUSB: 0x0110
>>>     bDeviceClass: Device (0x00)
>>>     bDeviceSubClass: 0
>>>     bDeviceProtocol: 0 (Use class code info from Interface Descriptors)
>>>     bMaxPacketSize0: 64
>>>     idVendor: Creative Technology, Ltd (0x041e)
>>>     idProduct: Unknown (0x30d7)
>>>     bcdDevice: 0x0100
>>>     iManufacturer: 1
>>>     iProduct: 2
>>>     iSerialNumber: 3
>>>     bNumConfigurations: 1
>>>

>>> After USB1.1 enumeration, the windows host controlled by the vendor
>>> driver sends a request USR_FUNCTION_ABORT_PIPE to EP IN 6:
>>>

>>> The EP IN 6  descriptor (from USB1.1 configuration):
>>>
>>> ENDPOINT DESCRIPTOR
>>>     bLength: 7
>>>     bDescriptorType: 0x05 (ENDPOINT)
>>>     bEndpointAddress: 0x86  IN  Endpoint:6
>>>         1... .... = Direction: IN Endpoint
>>>         .... 0110 = Endpoint Number: 0x6
>>>     bmAttributes: 0x03
>>>         .... ..11 = Transfertype: Interrupt-Transfer (0x3)
>>>     wMaxPacketSize: 64
>>>         ...0 0... .... .... = Transactions per microframe: 1 (0)
>>>         .... ..00 0100 0000 = Maximum Packet Size: 64
>>>     bInterval: 1
>>>
>>> The request sent by the host is:
>>> USB URB
>>>     [Source: host]
>>>     [Destination: 3.5.6]
>>>     USBPcap pseudoheader length: 27
>>>     IRP ID: 0xfffffa80073ee120
>>>     IRP USBD_STATUS: USBD_STATUS_SUCCESS (0x00000000)
>>>     URB Function: URB_FUNCTION_ABORT_PIPE (0x0002)
>>>     IRP information: 0x00, Direction: FDO -> PDO
>>>     URB bus id: 3
>>>     Device address: 5
>>>     Endpoint: 0x86, Direction: IN
>>>     URB transfer type: USB IRP Info (0xfe)
>>>     Packet Data Length: 0
>>>

>>> The device responds with a proprietary response, with a different source
>>> 3.5.127:
>>> USB URB
>>>     [Source: 3.5.127]
>>>     [Destination: host]
>>>     USBPcap pseudoheader length: 27
> [...]

I'm also not an USB expert, but is seems that URB_FUNCTION_ABORT_PIPE is used
only internally in the windows driver to clear all pending URBs to EP and does
not do any USB traffic:

https://libusb-devel.narkive.com/H4rdKA67/how-to-generate-an-abort-pipe-and-reset-pipe-urb

So it seems that some other information is missing for the device mode switch.

						Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>