kernel branch for submitting patches

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Mon Mar 15 07:56:19 CET 2021

On 3/15/21 7:35 AM, Mikhail Durnev wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am new to ALSA development in Linux kernel. Is my understanding
> correct that new patches should be created against the for-next branch
> in https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/broonie/sound.git ?
>
> When I tried to create a patch on top of the master branch of
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git and
> send it to linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org, my patch was ignored. Reading
> I found that patches should probably go to broonie/sound.git for-next
> first. Looking forward to receiving your help.

Hi,

There is a section in the "Submitting Patches" documentation that
describes how to figure out where to send a patch. See
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/process/submitting-patches.html#select-the-recipients-for-your-patch

You are right that the Mark's for-next branch is what patches for the
ASoC framework should be created against. There is also Takashi's
for-next branch, which should be used for any non ASoC audio patches.

- Lars