ALSA: scarlett2: Default on?

Geoffrey D. Bennett g at b4.vu
Fri Jun 25 04:11:42 CEST 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 07:40:53PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 17:47:39 +0200,
> Geoffrey D. Bennett wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 08:39:24AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > [...]
> > > OK, now all patches have been merged.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > I would next like to consider how we can enable this mixer driver by
> > default. I originally added the device_setup=1 gate because there were
> > reports of the driver making the interface hang. These were all traced
> > back to the problem which was resolved with the commit "Fix device
> > hang with ehci-pci". That commit fixed the issue for those who had
> > reported it and since then there have been no more reports that the
> > mixer driver causes any issues.
> >
> > Simply removing the device_setup=1 check would leave users with no way
> > to disable the driver in case that turns out to be necessary for some
> > reason though, so I don't think that's a good idea.
>
> They can blacklist snd-usb-audio, either the module itself (if it's
> the only device), or with enable option of snd-usb-audio module, if
> there are multiple devices bound with the driver.

But wouldn't that disable audio for the device entirely? I am talking
about only disabling the mixer part of the driver (the code in
mixer_scarlett_gen2.c) which uses the proprietary USB messages. So
that if there is some unseen so-far bug the user can revert to
previous behaviour of audio working but no proprietary controls.