ALSA: scarlett2: Default on?

Geoffrey D. Bennett g at b4.vu
Thu Jun 24 17:47:39 CEST 2021

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 08:39:24AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
[...]
> OK, now all patches have been merged.

Thanks!

I would next like to consider how we can enable this mixer driver by
default. I originally added the device_setup=1 gate because there were
reports of the driver making the interface hang. These were all traced
back to the problem which was resolved with the commit "Fix device
hang with ehci-pci". That commit fixed the issue for those who had
reported it and since then there have been no more reports that the
mixer driver causes any issues.

Simply removing the device_setup=1 check would leave users with no way
to disable the driver in case that turns out to be necessary for some
reason though, so I don't think that's a good idea.

What I think would be the best option would be to have the driver as
its own loadable module. Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Thanks,
Geoffrey.