Crash in acpi_ns_validate_handle triggered by soundwire on Linux 5.10

Marcin Ślusarz marcin.slusarz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 20:18:58 CET 2021

śr., 27 sty 2021 o 18:28 Pierre-Louis Bossart
<pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com> napisał(a):
> > Weird, I can't reproduce this problem with my self-compiled kernel :/
> > I don't even see soundwire modules loaded in. Manually loading them of course
> > doesn't do much.
> >
> > Previously I could boot into the "faulty" kernel by using "recovery mode", but
> > I can't do that anymore - it crashes too.
> >
> > Maybe there's some kind of race and this bug depends on some specific
> > ordering of events?
>
> missing Kconfig?
> You need CONFIG_SOUNDWIRE and CONFIG_SND_SOC_SOF_INTEL_SOUNDWIRE
> selected to enter this sdw_intel_acpi_scan() routine.

It was a PEBKAC, but a slightly different one. I won't bore you with
(embarrassing) details ;).

I reproduced the problem, tested both your and Rafael's patches
and the kernel still crashes, with the same stack trace.
(Yes, I'm sure I booted the right kernel :)

Why "recovery mode" stopped working (or worked previously) is still a mystery.