After Update: No more sound. Downgrading solved it.

GitHub issues - opened github at alsa-project.org
Mon Dec 27 10:08:01 CET 2021

alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf issue #131 was opened from aljazzair:

Hello.

I am on Manjaro Linux, an Arch derivative.
Recently, after a system update, sound was gone.
After a couple of hours investigation, I narrowed it down to an update of alsa-ucm-conf.
Basically after downgrading 1.2.6.3-0 => 1.2.5.1-1, my problem is gone.

Symptom: With 1.2.6.3-0, there was no sound.
Running aplay -l listed my hardware.
Also I was able to hear sound from my monitor using the following command:

> aplay -D plughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav

But pactl list sinks came back empty. Pavucontrol showed no output devices either. Rebooting several times, editing various config files did not help.

I looked at the list of recent upgrades and saw alsa-ucm-conf in the logs. Downgrading solved my issue.

> Linux netsrvr 5.13.19-2-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 19 21:31:53 UTC 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux

List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices from aplay -l:

> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC1220 Analog [ALC1220 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC1220 Digital [ALC1220 Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Sound managed with:

>  pipewire --version
> pipewire
> Compiled with libpipewire 0.3.40
> Linked with libpipewire 0.3.40

I am posting this in order to document what happened in case someone has the same issue, and searches google.
Also to inform the developper, maybe something can be done to avoid this.

Thank you.

Issue URL     : https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/issues/131
Repository URL: https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf