Is it a regression? 5.15.5: No sound with speaker-test. 5.12.13: it works.

Paxton Evans paxton at riseup.net
Sat Dec 11 19:34:09 CET 2021

Hi,

I'm sure I'm nowhere near as technical as the other users on this list,
but found this thread by searching about the same problem: I had sound
with older kernels, but no sound with 5.15.5 (or 5.15.6). I can "see"
the audio playing in equalizers like Pavucontrol, but no sound actually
plays, and ALSA's speaker-test doesn't play anything either.

This is on a MacBook 2,1 with the audio device listed as "Intel
Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)"
and is driven by snd-hda-intel. I've set no options that I know about.

Since I've never mailed this list before, would someone mind letting me
know the proper way to do a helpful test for the ALSA developers?
Preferably on a live image or something like that, just so I can have as
clean and helpful of an environment as possible. Again, sorry for my
ignorance.

Thanks,

Paxton