Is it a regression? 5.15.5: No sound with speaker-test. 5.12.13: it works.

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Dec 7 10:16:27 CET 2021

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:03:05 +0100,
u34 at net9.ga wrote:

> The following looks to me a regression in the linux sound driver.
> alsa-info.sh output is included at the bottom of this message. There are 2
> outputs. An output with a 5.12.13 kernel. The other output is with a
> 5.15.5. They were obtained with the same PC. With 5.12.13, the
> speaker-test program works as expected. There is no sound when the
> speaker-test program is ran with 5.15.5.
> 5.15.5 has
>     options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
>     options snd-hda-intel id=HDMI index=1
> , which 5.12.13 does not have.

Both those lines conflict with each other, so they make no sense and
are already incorrect.

If you want to swap the card indices inevitably needed, just pass a
single option line below instead.

  options snd-hda-intel index=1,0

And how did you invoke speaker-test?  Is it only about speaker-test
and aplay works as is?