GLK board with ESSX8336 sound. Would like to get sound working on this system

Geraldo Nascimento geraldogabriel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:13:49 CET 2021

On Sat, Dec 04, 2021 at 05:35:52PM -0600, Theodore Kilgore wrote:

> Hello,

Hi, Theodore,

> I assume that someone is already working on this but I do not know
> who. I have some experience with coding and kernel stuff (see
> drivers/media/usb/gspca). Not experienced with doing sound support.

There's a Windows driver for the ESSX8336, isn't there? What I'd
do is I'd pull out Ghidhra and try to reverse engineer it...

If you choose to do it this way, be prepared to spend long stretches
of time elucidating what struct is that pointer math pointing out to,
etc.

Once you have plugged in all necessary information into Ghidhra, that
will surely be missing because the driver most likely was stripped of
debugging symbols, you'll still have to port it from Windows to Linux.

Nightmarish for sure, sorry if I can't propose an easier route.

Thanks,
Geraldo Nascimento