CORB reset timeout, Intel 3400 onboard chip

tom tom at offbeat.tech
Wed Aug 11 00:35:36 CEST 2021

Hello all,
I am experiencing an issue with my onboard sound card, where I have no sound
output. Please see a copy of my alsa-info.sh for my current
/etc/modprobe.d/*.conf config, located here:

http://ix.io/3vAV

I attempted troubleshooting using some config options that I saw listed in
HDAudio.txt. Specifically, I tried model options for "generic". I also tried a
few options for probe_mask, including "1" and "0x100".

It seems that no matter which options I put in, I always get a
CORB timeout from desg:

[    4.052955] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: CORB reset timeout#1, CORBRP = 0
[    4.053038] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: no codecs initialized

When I remove my probe_mask options, it first switches to polling mode, then
single_cmd mode, and finally fails to initialize any codecs. I looked at the
hda_intel.c file and saw a section for my onboard sound card (ref line 2515):

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High
Definition Audio (rev 05)

I also want to share my hw-probe output, located here:
https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=13e2d05856

It appears there are approximately 50 other users utilizing the same audio
driver. From my searches across a few different websites, it seems that my
particular audio chip should be very well supported and simply "work". I am now
thinking this is a bug, as I can't see a reason why it should be failing in
this manner.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.