No ack() calback in component driver

Sameer Pujar spujar at nvidia.com
Thu Sep 24 15:55:49 CEST 2020

Hi Morimoto-san,

>>> With your commit e2cb4a14541d ("ASoC: soc-core: merge snd_pcm_ops member to
>>> component driver") snd_pcm_ops is replaced with callback functions in
>>> component driver. In doing so, ack() callback was not retained in component
>>> driver.
>>> Was this intentional because there were no users of ack() or if there were
>>> other reasons?
>> I can't see any reason not to allow components to have an ack()
>> operation so I'd guess it was just lack of use.
> I think I replaced existing callback only.
> Thus, I think I did nothing to it if there was no users.

I was infact referring to [0] in which you added callbacks directly in
component driver. Later in the same series [1] 'snd_pcm_ops' was removed
from 'snd_soc_component_driver'. It looks like at that point of time
'snd_pcm_ops' had ack() callback. The reason for asking this is, for a
driver (not yet in upstream) some implementation depended on this
callback() and while moving to component it was noticed that ack() is
not present in component. I guess without an user it is not recommended
to add this callback. In that case I will push it along with the driver
once it is ready.

[0] Link:
https://lore.kernel.org/r/87tv8raf3r.wl-kuninori.morimoto.gx@renesas.com
[1]