Lenovo P520/Realtek ALC662 - front jack & mic in (Was: Cannot get Lenovo P520/Realtek ALC662 to produce sound)

Jan Pokorny lists at t.poki.me
Sun May 31 18:07:33 CEST 2020

Ok, I have some new progress to report, since best way to get
out of laziness is to open the can publicly, right? :-)

On 5/31/20 4:05 PM, Jan Pokorny wrote:
> As the linked commit indicates, the proper model parameter
> to snd-hda-audio module is dual-codecs.  I've tried that,
> and a handful of other models, to no avail.  I considered
> the possibility the problem is just that I cannot work
> with "mute" state properly, so tried everything I could
> (incl. alsaunmute), again, without any change.  Next
> dimension to the matrix was attaching external speaker
> to the front connector.  Nothing has helped.

So now, with dual-codecs model explicitly requested,
I finally tried to attach the external speaker to the rear
sound out connector (this location is not very convenient
for me, that's why I was skipping it so far!), and to my
surprise, the long awaited sound is here.  Awesome!

But that's just one point out of many, since it seems
things are rather crazy, especially:

When I have this rear connector in use, and attach headphones
to the front "headset" (per depiction) connector, pavucontrol
changes the output from "Line Out (plugged in)" to "Headphones
(plugged in)" -- leaving the former still "plugged in" --
which read "Headphones (unplugged)" before, but its
respective slider effectively also controls line out,
and nothing is going out of the headphones on said
front jack.

Neither an isolated microphone with rear mic jack or
front headset jack nor a proper single-jack headset with
this front jack connector works.  "Analog Stereo Duplex"
mode being selected was double-checked for that.
Tested with observing no indication of signal in
pavucontrol, assuming this is reliable way to test.

So, what can be done about getting these work?

* front panel headset jack
   - headphones mode only
   - headset

* rear mic jack for the mic

* internal speaker without said noise, just in case it is
   ever needed as a backup ... it definitely worked rather
   well under Windows

Where these tested at the time of the original fixup being
prepared?  Is it possible anything has changed hardware-wise
since then?  What diagnostics can I provide to push this
towards resolution?

Also, what may still be slightly unsettling, I don't see
the string "HDAudio-Lenovo-DualCodecs" present with said
fixup anywhere, should I?

Thanks

--
Jan