presonus StudioLive 24.4.2

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Thu Jun 18 16:06:23 CEST 2020

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:14:41PM +0200, m.eik michalke wrote:
> hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 18. Juni 2020, 01:32:13 CEST schrieb Takashi Sakamoto:
> > > ok, could a hack like this also help me out?
> > >
> > >   http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html
> >
> > Yep, the PCM multi plugin in alsa-lib seems to be available as well.
>
> that's encouraging. now i only have to figure that out ;) never had to deal
> with .asoundrc before (which is testament to the hard work of all of you,
> thx!).

The domain specific language in alsa-lib is not so easy to understand
and control. The result affects to all of ALSA applications like pulseaudio.
It's better to use alsa_in/alsa_out for the purpose to avoid unexpected
influences, IMO...

> > From my curiousity, would I ask you extra check in system log (like
> > journalctl -k)? ALSA Dice driver supports TCAT protocol extension, and
> > it firstly attempts to detect it for all of devices without explicit
> > flags (in your case). If the device doesn't support the extension, the
> > attempt fails and we can see below log:
> >
> > ```
> > kernel: snd_dice fw1.0: transaction failed: timeout
> > ```
>
> here's what i see in journalctl -k when the device is being plugged in:
>
> kernel: firewire_ohci 0000:05:00.0: isochronous cycle inconsistent
> kernel: firewire_core 0000:05:00.0: created device fw1: GUID 000a920404af7744,
> S400
> kernel: firewire_core 0000:05:00.0: phy config: new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
> kernel: firewire_core 0000:05:00.0: IRM is not 1394a compliant, making local
> node (ffc0) root
> kernel: firewire_core 0000:05:00.0: phy config: new root=ffc0, gap_count=5
> kernel: snd_dice fw1.0: transaction failed: address error

Thanks. Now we confirm that the device doesn't support the protocol
extension. (And I realize there're two cases; the device doesn't just respond,
or returns RCODE_ADDRESS_ERROR.)

> let me know if you need anything else.

Hm. If you hear sound with periodical noise, please report it. The dice-based
device is known as one of the devices to require drivers for media clock
recovery. In detail, please read the other case[1].

[1] https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2020-May/167413.html

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto