presonus StudioLive 24.4.2

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Wed Jun 17 15:37:04 CEST 2020

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 03:00:49PM +0200, m.eik michalke wrote:
> > > in case that as of now the studiolive isn't officially supported or the
> > > above behavior is due to the fact that so far only the 16.4.2 is known to
> > > the module, i'm willing to help as far as i can ;) i hope that already
> > > seeing 16 channels is a good point to start and that it's not too hard to
> > > make the remaining 8 show up as well...
> >
> > Would you get output from '/proc/asound/pcm'?
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/pcm
> [...]
> 04-00: DICE : StudioLive : playback 1 : capture 1
> 04-01: DICE : StudioLive : playback 1 : capture 1
>

> all looks to me like you were right. IIUC the board provides a total of 32
> output channels and 26 for input. does this mean the device is already fully
> recognized and functional? can alsa be configured to provide all channels as
> one "sound card" so they become available in, say, ardour?

ALSA dice driver is functional expectedly in the case, with the inconvenience
that you noted... The driver adds two pair of PCM playback/capture device so
that each of them handles corresponding single isochronous packet streaming.

I suggest users to use 'alsa_in' and 'alsa_out' in jackd
session. Two pairs of PCM device (hw:x,0 and hw:x,1) need to be handled
for all of PCM channels. I'm sorry but at present total channels are not
available via one pair of PCM device.

Well, this is a request from me. In IEEE 1394 bus, each device has
'configuration ROM' which the other device can read. Linux FireWire
subsystem read it for device detection. I gather the ROM image[1] for
better detection and would I request you to send the ROM image to me
by following below instruction?

After detected, FireWire character device corresponding to your device
is added to Linux system. Typically it's '/dev/fw1'. At the same time,
the ROM image is served via node on sysfs. In the case of '/dev/fw1',
it's '/sys/bus/firewire/devices/fw1/config_rom'. I'd like you to
redirect its content to file and send it to me (or send pull request
by github service).

[1] https://github.com/takaswie/am-config-roms/

Thanks

Takashi Sakamoto