presonus StudioLive 24.4.2

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Tue Jun 16 14:18:29 CEST 2020

Hi,

I'm a developer for ALSA firewire stack.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:11:57AM +0200, m.eik michalke wrote:
> i'm trying to get a presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 up and running:
>
>   https://www.presonus.com/products/studiolive-24.4.2
>
> so far i'm partly successful -- looks like the board is automatically detected
> and supported by the firewire dice module.

Thanks for your trial to the device. For my information, would you show
your kernel version?

> however, i'm only offered 16 of the 24 supported audio channels. in the list
> of soundcards it is merely shown as "studiolive" without further info on the
> model. i wasn't able to find further info on this board's status with regards
> to alsa, so if there's documentation on this somewhere, could someone please
> point me to it?

I guess that Dice ASIC in your device can process two pairs of
isochronous packet streams. In the case, the driver adds two PCM devices
to system. I think you saw the first PCM device and it can handle 16 PCM
channels. Another can handle the rest 8 channels.

Would you find below procfs nodes and dump their contents?

* /proc/asound/cardX/firewire/dice
* /proc/asound/cardX/firewire/formation

Here, the 'X' should be replaced with the one in your system.

> in case that as of now the studiolive isn't officially supported or the above
> behavior is due to the fact that so far only the 16.4.2 is known to the
> module, i'm willing to help as far as i can ;) i hope that already seeing 16
> channels is a good point to start and that it's not too hard to make the
> remaining 8 show up as well...

Would you get output from '/proc/asound/pcm'?

For example, in the case of M-Audio Profire 610:

$ cat /proc/asound/pcm
02-00: DICE : FW610 : playback 1 : capture 1
02-01: DICE : FW610 : playback 1

We can see two PCM devices in the above for playback PCM substream.

Thanks

Takashi Sakamoto