[alsa-devel] no period wakeup support

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Fri Jan 31 00:56:39 CET 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 07:22:00AM -0600, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
> On 1/30/20 1:46 AM, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> > > I suspect this advice.
> > >
> > > In design of ALSA PCM core, runtime of PCM substream is configured for
> > > the mode of no-period-wakeup just in a case that userspace application
> > > requests it[1].
> > >
> > > As long as developers take enough care of compatibility for existent
> > > applications, it's better to support period wakeup for each IRQ as a
> > > default, then support no-period-wakeup mode as an option.
> > >

> > > [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/tree/sound/core/pcm_native.c#n715
> > >

> > I agree. We should not break the basic part of the API.
>
> I think you misunderstood my point. I was suggesting an approach similar to
> that of PulseAudio/CRAS/Android, where you first try and use the
> no-period-wakeup, and fallback to the traditional interrupt-based mode if
> it's not possible. The idea is that the no-period-wakeup should work now in
> a majority of the cases, so should be the primary mode recommended, not to
> deprecate or break the period-based solution.

Although I've expected your assumption on the above (of cource), I think
it is not reasonable since it misleads people toward the localized
solution with limited number of applications and purposes. It ignores
actual design of ALSA PCM core even if it just satisfies the use cases
in your and his work.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto