[alsa-devel] No sound since 5.4 on skl_n88l25_s4567

Kuninori Morimoto kuninori.morimoto.gx at renesas.com
Thu Jan 16 01:32:13 CET 2020

Hi Pierre-Louis
Cc Mark

> a) remove the error handling after soc_dapm_add_routes() to be
> backwards compatible with Intel problematic machine drivers. Not
> really nice for everyone else.
>
> b) remove this error conditionally so that legacy Intel solutions
> still work but new ones deal with errors upfront.
>
> I am not sure if there's a 'clean' way to implement b), maybe with a
> Kconfig selected by some machine drivers? Morimito-san, any
> suggestions now that we've root caused the problem (copied again below
> for reference)?

Is it possible to *real* fixup in the future, some day ?
We need correct code, but backward compatibility is also needed.
Not only Intel but some machine might have similar issue,
so, how about to indicate WARNING, and comment ?

Like this

         ret = snd_soc_dapm_add_routes(dapm,
                                       component->driver->dapm_routes,
                                       component->driver->num_dapm_routes);
        if (ret < 0)
 -               goto err_probe;
 +                * This is error, but legacy Intel want
 +                * compatibility until xxxx.
 +                * call "goto err_probe" after that
 +               dev_warn(dev, "DAPM route add failed.")

Thank you for your help !!
Best regards
---
Kuninori Morimoto