[alsa-devel] ABI breakage in alsa-lib 1.2

Jordi Mallach jordi at debian.org
Fri Jan 10 23:58:35 CET 2020

[Please Cc me on replies, I'm not currently subscribed to alsa-devel]

Hello,

I'm one of the ALSA Debian maintainers, and some weeks ago I looked
into updating our ALSA packages to 1.2.1.

I quickly noticed there's been some fundamental change to libasound2,
one that appears to break ABI and should have warranted an soname bump
at least.

With the split of the snd_tplg API to the new libatopology2, libasound2
has been left missing that part of the API that was part of the
asound.h header, etc. This could have been a somewhat lesser issue if
libasound2 linked to libatopology, but unfortunately this goes in the
other direction, so the ABI and API breakage is not avoided.

I cannot update alsa-lib in this state. I could hack around and patch
it to reinstate the missing api in libasound, but this sounds like pain
and suffering for everyone involved. How should we move forward with
this?

I am sorry I only come up with this 2 months after the release when I
had identified the problem many weeks ago, I've been extremely busy.

Thanks,
Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach <jordi at debian.org>