Samsung Galaxy book and and Realtek ALC298 failed in output mode

Aurélien Croc aurelien at ap2c.com
Tue Feb 25 14:16:23 CET 2020

Dear ALSA developers,

Several days ago I wrote messages here because the sound card of my new laptop
Samsung Galaxy book 12 (W720) doesn't let me listening to music. It is an
Intel Sunrine Point-LP HD audio with Realtek ACL298 chip.

After many tests, thanks to Takashi's help, internal and headset microphone
work very well but there is no sound when I play something (internal speaker
and headphones). So it seems that problem doesn't come from pin configuration
but something like COEF setup..

Thus I used qemu (with modifications of the code I did) in order to grab
communication between Windows driver and the PCI audio sound card. In
particular I extracted the VERB exchanges. Output of this job is attached to
this email:
  - corbRirbBuffer2.txt: the whole VERB commands from startup to shut down
  - corbStart2.txt: VERB commands during startup (before any sound is played)
  - corbSound2.txt: VERB commands when output mixer is updated and a sound is
played
  - corbEnd2.txt: VERB commands when the system is powered down

  - similar "output" files which contains all PCI writes for these different
stages

Since I'm not familiar with the hda ALSA driver and what it is currently set
up with the current driver I don't know how to find the problem.
The only thing I did is to execute each of the startup VERBs through hda-verb
command. I saw that some of these VERBs don't return the same value as those
got under Windows.. (almost 0x020c0000).

Does someone has an idea about what's going wrong or what could I do in order
to understand what could be problem or how to debug it deeper?
Thank you for your help.
Regards,

Aurélien