[alsa-devel] Welcome to the "Alsa-devel" mailing list

Srinivas Pulukuru spulukuru at crestron.com
Thu Feb 13 06:57:06 CET 2020

This is my first post to this mailing list, so apologize for any inconvenience if this is a wrong place to post such issues. If this is a wrong place please forward it to the right mailing list or let me know and I'll repost it there.

******************************

I are trying to create a 16 channel shared TDM frame that is shared between 8 different playback sources, to be sent out to the default hw:0 card.

I used dshare plugin for this purpose, please see the attached asound.conf. I tried using the share plugin but the performance is really bad and is not practical for our use given the number of channels that we are using.

when starting the playback the poll function called from snd_pcm_wait_nocheck in pcm.c hangs trying to access the /dev/snd/timer and never returns. It is able to access the first couple of times then hangs after that.
==> snd_pcm_write_areas ==> snd_pcm_wait_nocheck ==> poll()

I see that the snd_pcm_direct_t->spcm->hw.ptr that tracks the frames in time is stuck and is  not getting incremented in this case.
I have seen several old posts regarding this issue and not sure which version has this been fixed or it still an issue. I have tried using dmix plugin too with the same result.

My system doesn't have a sound card at the back end of the processor(IMX8M). I just need a shared buffer passed to the SAI interface that gets sent out of the SAI datalines (I2S) as a TDM frame. The codec drivers have been replaced with null terminated codecs as there at no DAC's connected to the processor.

The SAI I2S datalines are connected to a FPGA that demultiplexes and processes the TDM frame to be sent out to multiple audio outputs.
I am using alsa 1.1.2 and kernel imx8m 4.14.98 . I have tried to move to later version of alsa that I was able to build. I went till 1.1.7 but I still get the same issue.

I have posted more details in the following link in case you need more details including the asound.conf and the batch file that runs 8 different pcm files to 8 different virtual sources connected to the same HW card.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/567295/alsa-16-channel-audio-playback-using-dshare-plugin-is-getting-stuck-at-poll-func

Thanks,
Srinivas

Srinivas Pulukuru | Sr. Firmware Engineer
Phone: 800-237-2041
Email: spulukuru at crestron.com
Crestron Plano
7250 Dallas Parkway, Suite 600, Plano, Texas 75024