More Generic Audio Graph Sound Card idea

Daniel Baluta daniel.baluta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 09:33:24 CEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:25 AM Kuninori Morimoto
<kuninori.morimoto.gx at renesas.com> wrote:

> Hi Daniel
>
> Thank you for your feedback
>
> > > Because of it, the connection judgement for normal vs DPCM is tricky.
> > > I know Pierre-Louis want to use it for SOF, but something is missing,
> > > thus, can't use (?).
> (snip)
> > Thanks for having a look at this. I also tried to use generic machine
> > driver (simple-card)
> > with SOF but I had some trouble creating desired DPCM links.
> >
> > Main limitation of simple-card is that there is no direct way of
> > specifying DPCM links.
> >
> > I had an attempt to introduce a more flexible approach for that here:
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/10/13/123
> >
> > but obviously we can do better than that.
> >
> > For now, I'm using only normal links with simple-audio card and it
> > works fine for
> > me with SOF, but in the future I think we might need to expand that.
>
> OK, the issue is also normal vs DPCM judgement.
> Maybe having "dsp" can solve it, same as audio-graph-card ?
> I'm not sure we need to update simple-audio, too > Mark ?

Yes, the condition choosing normal vs dpcm is fairly similar
for simple-card and audio-graph-card:

if (dpcm_selectable &&
    ((of_get_child_count(codec_port) > 1) ||
     adata.convert_rate || adata.convert_channels)

Can you expand a little bit more about what having 'DSP' means?