ASoC driver names

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Wed Apr 22 19:04:36 CEST 2020

Hi all,

   I am fighting actually with the ASoC driver names. The current situation,
where each hardware variant (card name) is mapped to the driver name is not
very practical (and not correct). The driver name should describe the common
part (usually the controller - like 'HDA-Intel' or bus 'USB-Audio').

   I am talking about the situation, where the ASoC card name is set via the
device tree (snd_soc_of_parse_card_name) like in [1], but the change may be
considered for other drivers like Intel SST:

Card driver name: Lenovo-YOGA-C63
Card name: Lenovo-YOGA-C630-13Q50
Card long name: LENOVO-81JL-LenovoYOGAC630_13Q50-LNVNB161216

[1]
https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-tests/pull/3/commits/1b5a552cff06c6039fbcf41b3117fc73712010df

   My question is, can we change / add the more apropriate driver names
conditionally with a new kernel CONFIG option? Will you accept this change?

   The goal is to group the related UCM2 configurations and do the required
split inside the UCM2 top-level configuration file based on card components
string or other card identificators (related to the driver).

				Thanks,
					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>