[alsa-devel] 5.1 to stereo using libasound

Eric Desjardins desjare at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 16:07:36 CEST 2019

Hi,

I am playing a mkv with 5.1 channels from a mkv. I configure libasound for
6 channels and I feed them interleave audio using snd_pcm_writei. I use the
default pulse audio device.

So far, nothing is wrong. However, I do not ear things correctly. I listen
this on my stereo speaker. There is no mixdown to stereo and I was
wondering how to do that. I tried to use chmap api but anything I try on
the default device returns an error.

I was wondering what was the correct way to do that?
Using the mixing api?
How do we detect that my device output stereo if chmap doesn't work?

I am on a ubuntu 18.04 linux box.

Thanks,
Eric