[alsa-devel] Questions about max98090 codec driver

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Thu Oct 24 21:25:55 CEST 2019

On 10/24/19 1:23 PM, Tzung-Bi Shih wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am studying an odd issue of max98090 codec on Baytrail-based
> chromebook.  The issue is: when user playback and capture
> simultaneously, it seems the PLL never get locked if msleep(10)
> between the SHDN off and on
> (https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.4-rc2/source/sound/soc/codecs/max98090.c#L2120).
> The playback stream becomes silent and the console keeps printing "PLL
> unlocked".  But, if comment out the msleep(10) between the SHDN off
> and on, the issue fixed.  I am trying to find the reason but facing
> further more questions and may need your inputs.

IIRC this PPL unlocked problem also affects Cherrytrail/Braswell
Chromebooks with the same codec, but strangely with a lower probability
of occurrence (maybe due to clocking differences?). My contribution was
to make the dmesg log ratelimited, but I could never figure out either
what the root cause was.