[alsa-devel] Question about "957ce0c6b8a1 ASoC: soc-pcm: check symmetry after hw_params"

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Oct 23 20:23:16 CEST 2019

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 09:28:38AM +0000, S.j. Wang wrote:

Copying in Russell who noticed what sounded like the same issue today.

> > On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 03:05:16AM +0000, S.j. Wang wrote:

> > >      The soc_pcm_params_symmetry can't take effect, because its
> > > position is after the change of cpu_dai->rate.

> > >    Is this an issue?

> > I think so, yes.

> Thanks, but how to fix it?  because I don't really understand this
> commit want to do, it is hard for me to send a fixed patch.

> Or shall we revert it?

Right, so that was attempting to fix a nasty DPCM case with fixups but
it does that with a lot of collateral damage which is causing more harm
than good.  I think we need to revert and change things so that we don't
attempt to enforce symmetry on anything that has fixups, anything that
has fixups probably needs to open code some constraints but the chances
are that they will be able to rewrite anything the front end does so
most probably don't need anything.

Can you code something up here and test it on a DPCM system?