[alsa-devel] [RFC] sof-skl_hda: change to use common HDMI codec driver

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 23 19:04:38 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019, GitHub pull_request - opened wrote:

> alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf pull request #4 was opened from kv2019i:
[...]
> Request URL   : https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/pull/4
> Patch URL     : https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/pull/4.patch
> Repository URL: https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf

Jaroslav, here's an interesting case for the UCM file lookup problem
(related
to your post in thread in May about the UCM selection:
https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2019-May/150043.html
)

This is essentially a case where same codec hw can be driven by two
different drivers. Depending on how user has compiled the kernel (and/or
set module parameters), a different set of UCM rules should be used.

Now in the RFC UCM patch, I simply replace the UCM rules to match common
HDMI codec driver interface. I.e. once merged, the ALSA UCM files only
support one codec driver.

In this specific case, this might be the best solution (as the two
drivers exist purely to support the transition time), but I'm wondering
whether we have other similar needs, and UCM lookup logic should cover
also this type of cases. Any thoughts?

Br, Kai