[alsa-devel] alsa conformance test fails to run for playback (and works for capture)

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 21 15:57:11 CEST 2019

 On Sunday, 20 October 2019, 11:51:42 BST, Yu-Hsuan Hsu <yuhsuan at chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi Hin-Tak,
> Maybe it is not the correct pcm name.  I guess the correct one is
> "hw:seeed8micvoicec,0". Could you try it?
> By the way, you can also use aplay -D {device_name} to make sure
> whether the name is correct or not.

> Best,
> Yu-Hsuan

Dear Yu-Hsuan,

No "hw:seeed8micvoicec,0" did not work as input to the conformance test. As input to 'aplay -D', both the ,0 and without it sort of works.
(it waits for input from stdin).

When I actually gave it an channel file to play, both forms ('aplay -D hw:CARD=seeed8micvoicec ...' and 'aplay -D hw:CARD=seeed8micvoicec,0 ...') stopped with:

Playing WAVE 'Untitled recording 2019-10-11 19.15.11.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Channels 6
aplay: set_params:1339: Sample format non available
Available formats:
- S32_LE

The interesting part of 'aplay -L' is (there is another device):

sysdefault:CARD=seeed8micvoicec
 seeed-8mic-voicecard,
 Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=seeed8micvoicec,DEV=0
 seeed-8mic-voicecard,
 Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=seeed8micvoicec,DEV=0
 seeed-8mic-voicecard,
 Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=seeed8micvoicec,DEV=0
 seeed-8mic-voicecard,
 Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=seeed8micvoicec,DEV=0
 seeed-8mic-voicecard,
 Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=seeed8micvoicec
 seeed-8mic-voicecard
 USB Stream Output

As I mentioned at the beginning, 'arecord -L' and running the conformance test in CAPTURE mode using 'hw:CARD=seeed8micvoicec' works. It is PLAYBACK which does not.

Regards,
Hin-Tak