[alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Thu Oct 10 18:43:42 CEST 2019

On 10/10/19 10:57 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 09:48:14PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:15 PM Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:
>
>> My topics:
>
> I'll add these to the agenda.
>
>> - SOF driver: ACPI / DT unification
>
> Are there concrete plans to discuss here or is this more of a
> "what are we doing" kind of thing?  ACPI standardization has been
> an issue :/

I took this agenda item as "how machine drivers are handled in SOF".

Currently the core creates a platform device which will result in a
machine driver being probe and the card created. This is mainly due to
the lack of 'machine device' in existing DSDT tables. DT has explicit
support for machine drivers, so we need to have a solution that caters
to both.

>> - SOF driver: Handling built-in driver use case
>
> What's the issue here?

The SOF driver (or any existing driver with closed-source firmware) will
not work when compiled as built-in due to the request_firmware()
dependency. This wasn't too much of an issue for Intel so far, but for
i.MX platforms it's quite common to have no modules.

Daniel, did I get things right?