[alsa-devel] Question about DPCM FE vs BE

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 9 16:20:42 CEST 2019

On 10/9/19 2:57 AM, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:

> Hi ALSA ML
>
> In my understanding, DPCM needs FE and BE.
> And, one FE can have multiple BE, and one BE can have multiple FE.
>
> My question this time is that one snd_soc_pcm_runtime can be both
> FE and BE in the same time (= Sometimes FE, sometimes BE) ??
>
> In my understanding, it never happen.
> But, is this correct ?

It is my understanding that the current code would not support a case
where a FE is also a BE.

That said, do we want to preclude it? at some point we probably want to
get rid of the FE/BE distinction and have 'domains' that can be chained.
So it may not be a good thing to cast a restriction in stone. If at some
point we need a list of upstream/downstream clients maybe we should keep
this.