[alsa-devel] Headset button mapping in the kernel

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Nov 27 13:01:16 CET 2019

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 20:25:53 +0100,
Curtis Malainey wrote:

> Hello ALSA Devs,
>
> I am looking to get some feedback/ideas on a possible change to
> headset button mapping. Locally we are carrying patches that implement
> the mappings in the machine driver (which we understand you do not
> want upstream.) We are looking to see if we can add a new API
> (something like a sysfs path potentially) to have userspace pass in
> the mapping, if it chooses to, so the mapping can still be done in the
> kernel. That way we can carry just the config locally and remove some
> of the kernel patches we are carrying locally. Thanks.

I guess you're referring to the mapping that is currently done via
snd_jack_set_key() calls?  If so, an additional sysfs or such
interface would be handy, and it should be relatively easy.

But a proper sysfs entry design is another question; it's an array,
and this can be set for each jack object, so not that trivial.

thanks,