[alsa-devel] Why open-coding in sof_hda_bus_init()?

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Fri May 31 20:31:33 CEST 2019

On 5/31/19 1:22 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Fri, 31 May 2019 19:43:59 +0200,
> Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
>>
>> On 5/31/19 12:11 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> while looking at SOF code due to the recent debugging session, I
>>> noticed that sof_hda_bus_init() is basically an open-code of the
>>> existing snd_hdac_ext_bus_init().  Why don't we simply call
>>> snd_hdac_ext_bus_init() like below?
>>
>> It's intentional.
>> We've been asked since Day1 of SOF on ApolloLake to provide a
>> 'self-contained' controller-only support that has no dependency on the
>> snd_hdac library for solutions where HDaudio links+codecs are not used
>> (typically IOT devices). This was driven by the lack of separation
>> between layers in that library as well as a desire to have a
>> dual-license. That's why you see the init and some of the basic
>> utilities re-implemented for SOF.
>>
>> However for cases where HDaudio+HDMI are required, we didn't want to
>> reinvent the wheel - HDaudio is complicated enough - and do make use
>> of this snd_hdac library.
>>
>> We have a config SND_SOC_SOF_HDA that controls in which mode we
>> operate, and it enables HDMI by default (for I2S+HDMI solutions). To
>> get external HDaudio codecs you need the additional SOF_HDAUDIO_CODEC
>> kconfig.
>>
>> Does this help?
>
> Well, what's wrong with the conditional build with Kconfig?
> You can just wrap the call snd_hdac_ext_bus_init() with #if/endif,
> e.g. in soc/sof/intel/hda.h,
>
> static inline void sof_hda_bus_init(struct hdac_bus *bus, struct device *dev,
> 				    const struct hdac_ext_bus_ops *ext_ops)
> {
> #if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_SND_SOC_SOF_HDA)
> 	snd_hdac_ext_bus_init(bus, dev, NULL, NULL, ext_ops);
> #endif
> }

We still need initializations for some of the data structures when
SOF_HDA is not defined.

> In genral, the open-code is very bad from the maintenance POV.  And,
> even worse, currently the hda-bus.c does only initialization, and the
> release is with the hda-bus code.

I agree, it's not ideal at all, but the snd_hdac library isn't great
either...
We'll see what we can do, the hda code in SOF is being revisited since
there's just too much duplications between the two modes, we can rework
the init while we're at it.