[alsa-devel] Boot procudure on HDA driver

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon May 13 14:01:11 CEST 2019

On Mon, 13 May 2019 13:52:32 +0200,
Kailang wrote:

> >Well, it's not clear to me whether you'd like to reduce the depop
> >procedure above or to add it somewhere else.  Could you clarify?
>
> This depop procedure in alc225_shutup. it doesn't need to run in system boot up.
>
> If system boot up, it will run alc225_init() already. alc225_init() include power up depop procedure.
> So, if system boot up, it only need to run depop procedure in alc225_init().

This is the runtime suspend and resume.  That is:

> The current boot up procedure was below.
> 1. alc225_init()

... which is called at the driver probe time, from
snd_hda_codec_build_controls().

Then the codec driver initialization finishes at this point, hence it
goes to runtime suspend.

> 2. alc225_shutup()  ==> this include power off and suspend depop procedure. some codec run this field will have pop noise at boot up.

... which is a part of the codec runtime suspend.

Then, the codec gets woken up for some access, and it performs the
runtime resume.

> 3. alc225_init()

... which is a part of the codec runtime resume.

That is, the step 2 and 3 are already out of the initialization phase,
and they are normal runtime PM procedure.  If the runtime depop code
is superfluous for the runtime PM, you can skip it by checking the
power_state, for example.  But, again, it has nothing to do with the
boot or not.  It's just the normal runtime suspend and resume.

thanks,