[alsa-devel] 'modern dailink' transition

Kuninori Morimoto kuninori.morimoto.gx at renesas.com
Tue Mar 26 02:20:07 CET 2019

Hi Pierre-Louis again

> > I guess my posted "no Platform" and "no implicit snd-soc-dummy" patch idea
> > confused you. If so, I'm so sorry about that.
> > I'm not sure this idea is Good or Bad.
> >
> > > I'd expect the dummy driver to just get automatically substituted when
> > > required, I'd not expect users to explicitly list it.
> >
> > Yes agree.
> >
> > This is my understanding, please correct me if I was wrong.
> > I think current many sound card which doesn't need "platfrom" are 2 patterns.
> >
> > 	1) select snd-soc-dummy as platfrom
> > 	2) select cpu component as platfrom
> >
> > Current ASoC selects 1) automatically if .platfrom_name was NULL.
> > And driver needs to have below if it want to be 2)
> >
> > 	dai_link->platform_of_node = dai_link->cpu_of_node
> >
> > But, I think one of them is enough ?
> > I mean select 2) automatically can be OK?
> > In other words, current some sound card which doesn't need
> > platfrom is calling snd-soc-dummy platfrom method in 1) case.
> > But, is it needed ? I'm not sure...
> >
> > It seems snd-soc-dummy platfrom is caring about DPCM-BE case,
> > but, I think CPU is snd-soc-dummy in such case.
> > Maybe we need same cade to dummy CPU (?), but *my* DPCM system
> > is working correctly without it.

I want to tell here is that, if above idea works well,
sound driver will not need to think about platfrom any more
if it doesn't need platfrom.

But, to avoid extra confuse/trouble, I think keeping current
existing snd-soc-dummy platform settings (at legacy Intel machine driver ?)
is safety plan. But what do you think ?

Best regards
---
Kuninori Morimoto