[alsa-devel] Hercules P32 DJ: severe sound distortion during MIDI transfers

Guido Trentalancia guido at trentalancia.com
Fri Mar 22 14:44:48 CET 2019

Hello Takashi.

I have carried out the test that you proposed...

My reply follows your quoted text.

On Fri, 22/03/2019 at 11.12 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 11:04:01 +0100,
> Guido Trentalancia wrote:
> >
> > Hello Takashi,
> >
> > I am using the latest version of everything, including kernel and
> > ALSA
> > userspace library / tools.
> >
> > The other user has exactly the same hardware and has tested same
> > firmware
> > (both 1.36 and latest 1.46), but with Fedora 29 and it is working.
> >
> > Perhaps Fedora 29 has a different version of the ALSA library, I
> > will find
> > out, try to downgrade, test again and report back.
>
> Yes, that'd be really helpful.  If aligning the software doesn't fix
> the issue, it's either because of the hardware or the difference of
> usage patterns.

I have tested exactly the same ALSA userspace library and plugins
distributed by Fedora 29 and it does NOT work !

As already explained, the usage pattern is exactly the same between me
and the user which is not experiencing this severe problem.

Also, the hardware is the same: Hercules P32 DJ (with exactly the same
firmware version 1.46 which is the latest).

So, the conclusion is that it must be a kernel bug ! I was expecting
this, as already pointed out in previous messages.

Can you please help me fix this bug since you wrote the driver and/or
are maintaining it ?

Thanks,

Guido