[alsa-devel] [PROBLEM] ALSA: hda: PCM streams are suspended while opening

Jon Hunter jonathanh at nvidia.com
Wed Mar 20 18:59:58 CET 2019

On 20/03/2019 17:19, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 17:04:14 +0100,
> Jon Hunter wrote:
>>
>> From: Jonathan Hunter <jonathanh at nvidia.com>
>>
>> This issue is not observed on the latest mainline kernel since the
>> 'ALSA: PCM suspend cleanup' series has been applied and the
>> snd_pcm_suspend_all() function call in the HDA codec driver has been
>> removed. However, this issue impacts stable kernel branches and so I
>> am trying to find a solution for these branches.
>>
>> When stress testing audio playback across multiple HDA streams
>> simultaneously, the following failure is sometimes observed when
>> starting playback ...
>>
>>  Unable to set hw params for playback: File descriptor in bad state
>>
>> The problem is caused because ...
>> 1. Playback is starting for one HDA codec and so the chip->open_mutex
>>    in azx_pcm_open() has been acquired.
>> 2. Playback for another HDA codec is starting but is blocked waiting to
>>    acquire the chip->open_mutex in azx_pcm_open().
>> 3. For the HDA codec that is blocked, its runtime-pm status is still
>>    enabled from a previous playback session that has since completed and
>>    been closed, however its autosuspend timeout has not expired yet.
>> 4. For the HDA codec that is blocked, the runtime-pm autosuspend timeout
>>    now occurs calling the runtime-pm suspend callback and this calls
>>    snd_pcm_suspend_all() placing all PCM streams in the suspended state.
>> 5. The block HDA codec is now unblocked and fails to set the HW params
>>    because the PCM stream is in the suspended state.
>>
>> The above has been observed on Tegra platforms where the autosuspend
>> delay is set to 1 second and there is a delay to an AZX command. This
>> highlights that there is a window of time where autosuspend can place
>> the HDA PCM stream in the suspended state while opening the stream
>> and cause playback to fail.
>>
>> Looking at commit 3d21ef0b49f8 ('ALSA: pcm: Suspend streams globally via
>> device type PM ops') it appears that the call to snd_pcm_suspend_all()
>> has now been moved to the to the suspend handler for PCM streams and so
>> I am wondering if it would be equivalent to make the following change to
>> the HDA codec driver to achieve the same behaviour but only for the HDA
>> driver. So far the issue has not been observed with this change.
>>
>> Please note that I am not sending this as a formal patch as I wanted to
>> get some feedback/comments on the above.
>
> I guess just backporting 3d21ef0b49f8 should be OK even for older
> kernels.  This assures the PCM stream gets suspended before entering
> any parent device suspend call.
>
> The remaining changes (except for the one for atiixp) are merely
> cleanup of superfluous calls, and keeping them are harmless.
>
> Could you check whether my theory above correct?

I believe that you will need that change and 17bc4815de58 because we
need to prevent snd_pcm_suspend_all() being called in the pm-runtime
suspend callback. Applying only 3d21ef0b49f8 will means that at runtime
snd_pcm_suspend_all() can still be called from within the HDA codec
driver when the autosuspend timeout occurs. I will test this and
confirm. Maybe both could be backported?

Cheers
Jon

--
nvpublic