[alsa-devel] [Sound-open-firmware] Signed firmware availability for kbl/cnl

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Wed Jul 24 18:23:38 CEST 2019

Dne 24. 07. 19 v 18:09 Liam Girdwood napsal(a):
> On Wed, 2019-07-24 at 18:00 +0200, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

>>> The firmware used for production is typically built with the
>>> Cadence
>>> tools, which unfortunately are not available publicly (but can be
>>> made
>>> available to Intel partners). It wouldn't be surprising if the code
>>> size
>>> was different due to the use of intrinsics (though 100K seems like
>>> a lot
>>> indeed).
>>>
>>> Liam, I think we ought to release binaries with the community key
>>> as
>>> well so that people can use them as is, e.g. on the Up2 board which
>>> does
>>> not require the Intel production key. Same for GLK Chromebooks.
>>
>> It would be probably more nice to create a tar ball with all firmware
>> and
>> topology files bundled with the proper (usual) filesystem location
>> (/lib/firmware/intel/sof/... and /lib/firmware/intel/sof-tplg/...).
>> So we
>> (users/distribution packagers) can just use it.
>
> Yeah, been thinking about this atm. It may be better to package the
> binaries (firmware and topologies) as part of Linux firmware repo
> (since the driver expects to load them all from lib/firmware) and
> package the sources (firmware and topology) via sof tarball ?

It looks good in my eyes, because topology files are another pieces of the
driver from the user space perspective. The unanswered question is the UCM
configuration which is linked to the topology configuration (if I understand
this correctly). I proposed to place an unique identifier/version to the
topology file and propagate this identifier to the user space, so the alsa-lib
can pick the right UCM configuration when topology changes. The component
string (snd_component_add function / struct snd_ctl_card_info -> components)
can be used for this identification.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>