[alsa-devel] Surround speaker connection on Acer 8951G

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Jul 19 16:44:52 CEST 2019

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 13:12:31 +0200,
Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> after feedback that I'm mostly on my own here because this is not remotely
> testable I invested quite some time into figuring out what is what and was
> able to make some progress. Still I am at a point where help would be
> very much appreciated as I am not sure how to proceed further.
>
> Basically its almost working now, I managed to "connect" 5 speakers, but I
> can't find the LFE. I tried various combinations in hdajackretask and
> hda-analyzer, but was not able to get any sound out of it.
>
> My current layout is as follows:
>
> Pin 0x15 Front Left / Front Right
> Pin 0x18 Center (left channel audible)
> Pin 0x1b Rear Left / Rear Right, Headphones
>
> I am not listing the mic/line pins here, just focusing on the speakers.
>
> Still need to do some fiddling for 0x1b to make sure the rear speakers get
> muted when I plug in the headphones, but that's also something for later.
>
> Could someone hint me how to proceed in "finding the LFE"? Where should I be
> digging? I did also have a look at parser hints documentation and tried some,
> but this was more a random attempt and did not really help me.
>
> I am attaching my current alsa-info along with the retask configuration that
> is currently applied.

It might be some other external stuff like an external amp that is
missing.  Often it's managed via GPIO or EAPD (that is controlled by
HD-audio itself), but sometimes via a vendor-specific verb, or even
over a completely different i2c...

In the case of vendor verbs, you can take a look at other quirks for
similar models that touches lots of COEF stuff.