[alsa-devel] A bug in the alsa project

Радослав Ненчовски stalliondrift at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 10:06:52 CET 2019

*Hi. I think I found a bug in the ALSA project which doesn't seem to be
kernel related, since it occurs with all kernels I've tried so far. It's
about the area where one can select the output - Stereo, 2.1, 4.0 and so
on. I have a 2.1 audio system - 2 speakers and a subwoofer (Microlab
M-300U). If I choose 5.1 Analog Output, the subwoofer works great and
the audio has great bass for music. However, if I choose anything else
that is not 5.1 (that includes the output for my system - 2.1), the
subwoofer stops working and the output sounds like I'm using cheap
speakers for $1. This is part 1 of the bug. Part 2 is that when I'm
watching movies using the 5.1 Output, some of the movie sounds are
missing because ALSA transfers them to the non-existing speakers. It's
also interesting that with 5.1 Analog Output listening to music
(Audacious) the sound is perfect - no missing parts and stuff, the
problem happens only when I'm watching movies. I tried different media
players but it's the same with all of them.*

*If there's any additional information I could give you, such as
hardware info, please let me know.*