[alsa-devel] [Sound-open-firmware] [v4, 00/14] ASoC: Sound Open Firmware (SOF) core

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 22 22:52:33 CET 2019

>>> We can share our rpmsg based topology implementation as reference which:
>>> 1.About 2500 lines(much less than SOF)
>>> 2.Support pcm and compress playback/capture
>>> 3.No any vendor dependence(thanks for rpmsg/remoteproc)
>> Sure. Where's the code? What's the license?
>>
> The code is base on 4.19 kernel, I could upstream the code basing on
> the latest kernel in the next couple days for reference.
> the license is GPL, of course.
I'll be looking forward to the code. My turn to provide comments :-)

>> Most of the SOF code is really in hardware-specific .ops callbacks and
>> topology handling, the generic IPC layer is only ~800 lines of code.
>> rpmsg would allow for easier portability but a significant reduction of
>> the code size is unlikely.
>>
> The reduce come from:
> 1.Move firmware load and dsp start/stop to remoteproc layer.
> 2.Move IPC buffer/mailbox to rpmsg layer.

You are not going to see a lot of code reduction here, at the end of the
day most of the code comes from hardware-specific register access...

> 3.Reuse ASoC topology parser to generate the audio graph.
> 4.Reuse ASoC DAMP to control the graph node state change(run/stop/pause/resume).
> 5.Use the general machine driver glue all individual components
the last 3 points are already how SOF works, wondering if there is a
misunderstanding... We are using topology/DAPM directly without any
reinvention or duplication, as measured by the multiple fixes we
provided to the frameworks in the last few weeks. Also when
dedicated/custom topology tokens are needed, you still need code to deal
with them and send the relevant configuration to firmware, whatever the
transport format might be.