[alsa-devel] [v4,00/14] ASoC: Sound Open Firmware (SOF) core

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 22 00:49:16 CET 2019

>> Just for information... ST Microelectronics plans to port SOF to at
>> least one of its platforms (based on ARM cores). Today, for the
>> co-processor  management we use the rpmsg and remoteproc frameworks on
>> the Linux kernel side and OpenAMP on the remote processor side. We are
>> therefore interested in xiang's work.
>> An advantage we see in this generic solution is that compatibility
>> between the Linux kernel frameworks and the OpenAMP library is ensured
>> through discussions in the Linux and OpenAMP communities, involving
>> maintainers and several vendors.
Thanks Arnaud for sharing this information. You made my day.  We've had
to deal with a number of hurdles related to platform and tools
availability, so it's good news indeed if there are more platforms
endorsing SOF.
> This is a very good point, especially with people actually jumping on it
> if we can avoid having multiple ABIs to worry about that would make life
> a lot easier.  We should at least figure out if it will be disruptive to
> adapt it later on, even if Intel ends up continuing to use a custom
> system integration.
Yes indeed. At a high level we only have very generic send/receive IPC
messages, and it really shouldn't matter how the transport happens.
However the actual contents/semantics of the messages do matter, and
I'll have to run a check to make sure it scales.