[alsa-devel] Free-running MMAP Mode

Fletcher Woodruff fletcherw at chromium.org
Mon Dec 16 18:04:00 CET 2019

Hi alsa-devel,

I'm working on implementing memory-mapped audio for a project that
uses the alsa user-space API. My understanding is that typically, mmap
mode requires explicit calls to mmap_begin/mmap_commit before and
after every read/write in order to notify the driver of newly
read/written frames.

Is there any way for a user to request a sort of "free-running" MMAP,
where alsa just assumes that the data it needs has been written to the
circular buffer and doesn't expect those begin/commit calls?

Thanks,
Fletcher