[alsa-devel] alsa-utils say -c is sched_idle, but actually set sched_rr (BUG?)

tommy tommy at kelsos.ptp
Mon Dec 2 16:17:22 CET 2019

Hi,

I'm not subscribed to the list.  I was looking for uses of SCHED_IDLE in
software in general when I stubled upon this.  Although I have no personal
interest in asla development, I thought it would be nice to report it here.

alsa-project/alsa-utils commit 611249ae26f435429dbe1894e210704a723ee277 says:

    alsactl: add --nice and --sched-idle options

    The state management can run at low priority, add --nice and --sched-idle
    options to set the scheduler.

Everywhere in the code it says SCHED_IDLE *except* for the actual call to
sched_setscheduler() which instead sets the policy to SCHED_RR.  I have
looked twice to see that I don't miss anything obvious, and suspect this is
an error, or that there should be a comment that explains this oddity.

Kind regards,
Tommy