[alsa-devel] sof/hda rework to share more of patch_hdmi.c logic

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at linux.intel.com
Thu Aug 15 16:28:02 CEST 2019

Hi Takashi,

I notice you are doing a lot of cleanups to HDA code. Just FYI I'm looking
into modifying the SOF Intel backend to use
snd-hda-codec-hdmi/patch_hdmi.c for HDMI/DP audio support, i.e. to be able
to share this code between snd-hda-intel and SOF Intel (and not using
hdac-hdmi).

Let me know if this clashes with something you are already looking into. I
have a very rough version up and running, but it still needs some work. If
the general idea seems ok to you, I'll continue to work on a RFC patch and
send for review.

This will change how HDMI is exposed to user-space with SOF Intel drivers,
so we need to be extra careful how this is introduced. But this really
seems to be the best way to go to avoid the duplicated maintenance work
with two drivers that we now have.

PS Tracked in SOF github as
   https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/issues/1123

Br, Kai