[alsa-devel] [Sound-open-firmware] Signed firmware availability for kbl/cnl

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Fri Aug 2 21:24:00 CEST 2019

>> Would we also use semantic versioning to align the UCM with the
>> topology and FW ? Currently we use semantic versioning for topology and
>> FW.
>
> If we have the versions exported to ther user space, the UCM configuration
> loader / parser can use this information to select or verify the right UCM
> configuration. The semantic versioning in UCM files sounds good to me, too.

My understanding semantic versioning is that it provides means to handle
minor differences where a new capability is ignored in backwards
compatible ways. This is what we use for SOF structures between driver
and firmware, new fields might be added but used or not depending on
versions.

For UCM, the interaction with other layers is limited to stream numbers
and control names, so I am not sure what semantic versioning and
backwards compatibility would mean here? I am all for it, but I don't
get how it would work.