[alsa-devel] Subwoofers aren't working on ALC298 (Lenovo Yoga C930 Laptop)

Jonathan Reeve jon.reeve at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 04:58:10 CET 2018

Hi David,

Thanks very much for helping me look into this.

> Have you tried any other distribution, something more normal
> like latest
> Fedora or Ubuntu ? Does the subwoofers work there ?

I just tried an Ubuntu live USB disk. I can't get subwoofers to
work
there, either.

> If you run Ubuntu/Fedora you can check the sound settings and
> pavucontrol
> there is selection of speakers usually 2.1 5.1... try those ?

I don't see any option for that in pavucontrol on Ubuntu.

> And you have to make sure those [pincfgs] match with your
> Windows10
> registry of the driver's PinConfigOverride.

Awesome. How can I find these settings? I checked in regedit and
searched
for `pinconfigoverride` and `pincfg`, but nothing's coming up. I
also
grepped all the driver files for those expressions, but nothing's
coming
up there, either. Do you know if these settings are called
something
else?

> You happen to have Windows running on that machine and can
> extract the
> pinconfigoverride or have .ini of the driver? I can help you
> compare
> those.

Yep, I have the Windows 10 driver files, but there is no .ini
file, as far as
I can tell. There are lots of text files that look like they could
be
configuration files of some sort. Which one(s) should I be looking
for?

Best,

Jonathan