[alsa-devel] [RFC/RFT PATCH] ASoC: topology: Improve backwards compatibility with v4 topology files

Guenter Roeck groeck at google.com
Wed May 23 16:49:35 CEST 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 6:56 AM Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

> > My point was a bit different: distributions like Gallium start without
> > the relevant topology files and UCM settings, and we should have a
> > reference to quickly enable audio without having to borrow and modify
> > files from another distro. I faced this issue when I worked with the
> > Gallium folks to enable audio on Rambi and Cyan Chromebooks and
> > ended-up creating this reference myself.
>
> This sounds rather like a question how the upstream distributes the
> stuff properly...

Not really, or not only. My problem, in particular, is that I want (need)
to be able to run different kernel versions with the same distribution, and
I want to be able to swap kernel versions without having to update the root
file system. That doesn't work if I have to use v4 configuration files for
v4.4 and older kernels, and v5 configuration files for v4.9 and later
kernels (besides, as I mentioned, that the v5 configuration files I found
were all incomplete). In my opinion, thre should be exactly one
configuration file for a given device, and there should be no need for
users (or distributions) to hunt for the correct version of the file.

Guenter