[alsa-devel] Maximum 50 dB gain in ALSA softvol plugin

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Jan 12 17:02:03 CET 2018

Hi,

The ALSA softvol plugin has a maximum gain of 50 dB (MAX_DB_UPPER_LIMIT is
fixed to 50 in pcm/pcm_softvol.c). Is there some technical reason for this
limit? These days when >16 bit audio is becoming common, it's not
unreasonable to have large gain figures, and that is in fact a usecase I
have right now.

I'm looking through the CONVERT_AREA and MULTI_DIV_foo macros to see if
there's something there that degenerates when the gain factor becomes too
large, but I'd thought I'd ask too rather than just do reverse
engineering.

/Ricard