[alsa-devel] [RFC v5 0/3] Enable HDA Codec support on Intel Platforms (Series1)

Ughreja, Rakesh A rakesh.a.ughreja at intel.com
Thu Jan 4 05:34:05 CET 2018

Yes, you are right.
Based on specification of Dell Latitude 7270, it looks like it is SKL
SoC and so may not have DSP enabled in the BIOS.

>So, only judging from the quick glance over the patches:
>first off, the less change in ALSA legacy side than previous versions
>is nice.  Where to call the probe and the remove of ext_ops is still a
>slight question (whether it has to be the very beginning or not), but
>it's a good start.

Based on your suggestion during the previous reviews, I tried reusing
the other functions like snd_hda_codec_set_name, snd_hdac_regmap_init,
patch, snd_hda_codec_build_pcms, snd_hda_codec_build_controls etc.

Except the regmap_init function everything else requires snd_card which
is created only at the machine driver load, so I was not able to reuse
any other function. That's why I am calling all these functions in the
snd_soc_codec probe time, and not during the hdac_dev probe.
I have tried calling the regmap_init in the hdac_dev probe and things seem
to work fine, but I am not sure if it is right thing to do, since the card is not
created.

Do you know if we can do regmap_init before the card is created ?

>Maybe we can drop the introduction of bus type, too.  Basically just
>checking the non-NULL bus->ext_ops should be enough to identify the
>ext-bus type.

Yes, sure. I will include this change in the next series.

Regards,
Rakesh