[alsa-devel] snd_pcm_open() taking very long, starting from kernel 4.17

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Dec 17 17:54:42 CET 2018

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:36:11 +0100,
Arnaud Rebillout wrote:

>   Dear ALSA maintainers,
>
> I noticed big change in how long `snd_pcm_open()` takes, between kernel 4.16
> and 4.17. With a kernel 4.16, this function consistently returns in less
> than 1
> millisecond, with occasional, but rare, peaks that go up to 25ms. While with
> kernel 4.17 and above, I measure an average of 40ms, with frequent peaks
> to 1s.
> The maximum I measured was 3 seconds!
>
> Is this change known, intended? Or is it a regression?

If this happens at opening the PCM stream, it's likely a stall in
runtime PM resume by some reason.  But I have no idea what actually
broke.

Are you sure that it's a kernel regression, i.e. this doesn't happen
at all when booting the old kernel on the same system?

If yes, the best would be to perform bisection.  At least it'd be
helpful to narrow the regression a bit.

And, this might be a known issue; I remember some report about the
long runtime PM resume on Dell XPS, which I can't see on other
machines.  So it might be device-specific.

thanks,

Takashi