[alsa-devel] [RFC - AAF PCM plugin 3/5] aaf: Implement Playback mode support

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Thu Aug 23 04:25:58 CEST 2018

On 08/22/2018 07:46 PM, Guedes, Andre wrote:
> Hi Pierre,

>>> NSEC_PER_SEC is 64-bit so I don't see an arithmetic error during
>>> calculation (e.g. integer overflow). Not sure this was your
>>> concern,
>>> though. Let me know otherwise.
>> No, I was talking about the fractional part, e.g with 256 frames
>> with
>> 44.1kHz you have a period of 5804988.662131519274376 - so your math
>> adds
>> a truncation. same with 48khz, the fractional part is .333
>>
>> I burned a number of my remaining neurons chasing a <100 ppb error
>> which
>> led to underruns after 10 hours, so careful now with truncation...
> Thanks for clarifying.
>
> Yes, we can end up having a fractional period which is truncated. Note
> that both 'frames' and 'rate' are configured by the user. The user
> should set 'frames' as multiple of 'rate' whenever possible to avoid
> inaccuracy.
It's unlikely to happen. it's classic in audio that people want powers
of two for fast filtering, and don't really care that the periods are
fractional. If you cannot guarantee long-term operation without timing
issues, you should add constraints to the frames and rates so that there
is no surprise.

>  From the plugin perspective, I'm not sure what we could do. Truncating
> might lead to underruns as you said, but I'm afraid that rounding up
> might lead to overruns, theoretically.
Yes, you don't want to round-up either, you'd want to track when
deviations become too high and compensate for it.

>>> Every time aaf->timer_fd expires, the audio buffer is consumed by
>>> the
>>> plugin, making some room available on the buffer. So here a POLLIN
>>> event is returned so alsa-lib layer can copy more data into the
>>> audio
>>> buffer.

>>> Regarding scenarios with two audio clock sources or timers, the
>>> plugin
>>> doesn't support them at the moment. This is something we should
>>> work on
>>> once the basic functionality is pushed upstream.
>> I was talking about adjusting the relationship between your
>> CLOCK_REALTIME timer and the media/network clock. I don't quite get
>> how
>> this happens, I vaguely recall there should be a daemon which tracks
>> the
>> difference between local and media/network clock, and I don't see it
>> here.
> Oh okay, I thought you were talking about something else :)
>
> I believe you are referring to the gptp daemon from Openavnu [1]. The
> AAF plugin doesn't use it. Instead, it uses linuxptp [2] which is
> distributed by several Linux distros.
>
> Linuxptp provides the phc2sys daemon that synchronizes both system
> clock (i.e. CLOCK_REALTIME) and network clock (i.e. PTP clock). The
> daemon disciplines the clocks instead of providing the time difference
> to applications. So we don't need to do any cross-timestamping at the
> plugin.
Humm, I don't get this. The CLOCK_REALTIME is based on the local
oscillator + NTP updates. And the network clock isn't necessarily owned
by the transmitter, so how do you adjust?